The Peace Corps Mission is to promote world peace and friendship through three simple goals:
- Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
- Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the people served.
- Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
Thus far, our Peace Corps Training has been a fantastic experience. We are 2 of 36 trainees who are aiming to be volunteers, and each person has their own unique background. At the same time though, we are all alike in our values and desire for adventure.
We are currently staying in a Catholic compound in Dar es Salaam while we do some basic initial training, covering things like cultural etiquette, basic Kiswahili and safety training. Here is a typical day for us so far:
- 6:45 a.m. Wake up, get ready for the day
- 7:00 a.m. Breakfast (toast, tea, a sort of porridge, and fruit)
- 8:00 a.m. Some sort of training, over Kiswahili, expectations, health, etc.
- 10 a.m. Break for chai (tea, fried bread, hot dogs (??))
- 10:30 a.m. More training
- 12:30 p.m. Lunch (rice, beans, chicken curry, plantains, cabbage, salad)
- 1:30 pm. Training, usually Kiswahili
- 4:00 p.m. Break for soda (soda, samosas, nuts, popcorn)
- 4:30 p.m. More training
- 5:30 p.m. Break
- 7:00 p.m. Dinner (about the same as lunch)
- 8:00 p.m. Hang out
- 9:30 (ish) p.m. Go to bed
On Tuesday, we move to Muheza where we will begin living with host families. Our schedule will then be completely different and we will be completely immersed in Kiswahili. We can’t wait!!
Miss you all!